The W+P | 19six team headed to the foothills in November to observe progress on one of our expansion projects at Red Hawk Resort Casino. Uninterrupted ninth-floor views of the Sierras from inside one of the new large conference rooms were a great way to start the day.
Our client recently revealed the name of this exciting new entertainment center, APEX at Red Hawk. This space will include 18 lanes of state-of-the-art bowling, a Virtual Reality Arcade, Golf Simulators, a Multi-Level Karting Track, a Sports Bar, and the new Apex Grill, with gaming stations throughout. It consists of a single-story 72,000+/- SF building addition, 8,800+/- SF mezzanine, and tenant improvements situated above the eighth story of the existing Red Hawk Resort Parking Structure.
(click site plan to enlarge)
This will be a one-stop-shop of family entertainment under one roof (casinos are for adults). There are casino elements within the space, but they are separated from areas that were designed specifically for families. There’s something for everyone: Kart Track, Bowling, Arcade, Golf Simulators, café as well as a bar. And two large, divisible Meeting Rooms for all types of occasions.
(cycle through renderings below)
Building a racetrack indoors is not for the faint of heart. The entire project was design/build; we worked very closely with the manufacturer/designer of the Kart Track, as well as the contractor and client, to make everything work within the space. Our scope was to provide the “box” that housed the Kart Track; this included infrastructure and lighting. Through this process, we learned that it takes a village to mobilize a unique Karting experience like this.
Every area has a detail, large or small, that adds to its flavor:
- At the entrance, you enter “small” and are immediately exposed to “big”: the scale change from the Casino Lobby to this 24’ high volume sets the drama the moment you step in.
- The curved glass walls enclose the track and replicate its undulations.
- The custom elements in Bowling like the Lazy Shoe-san designed to house the shoes, or the Bowling Pin Chandelier (inspired by creative photos from our charette process).
- Big-screen TVs everywhere! We used several interesting materials as backdrops for TV areas.
- Skyfold door dividing the conference spaces.
- Bright lights against a dark sky.
The Project Design and Construction Team includes:
- Level 10 Construction
- Avanti Builders, Inc.
- W+P | 19six
This project had a lot of moving pieces; kudos to our partners and the team at Red Hawk. We’re excited to see it thrill and delight visitors for years to come.
Naaz Alikhan, CID, LEED AP
Principal, Interior Environments Group